A Different Style Of Follow Focus

Forums Accessories A Different Style Of Follow Focus

One of the things I’ve found with my hand held rig is the inability (from an ergonomic point of view) to use any sort of follow focus mechanism. I hold the rig underneath with my left hand and by the handle with my right hand, so there’s no real ability to operate any form of follow focus. I can focus with my left hand using my thumb, but it’s not something that allows me smooth focus transitions.

It then occurred to me that there could be a much better way to implement a follow focus mechanism than currently available and which would suit a vast number of camera users that have a rig very similar to mine and who use it in a similar way. That follow focus mechanism wold be one built into the carry handle. Take a camera handle something like this:

Now imagine that this handle held one or two 18650 batteries for power, that there was a knurled control wheel near the smooth round part at the front of the handle and that the handle was connected by wire (not wireless) to a small focus/zoom control motor. This would be akin to those old wired remote control cars that existed many decades ago before radio controlled cars came about. A simple, no nonsense, design that places a control wheel exactly where your thumb would rest when holding the handle.

Not possible? If you can build a battery handle like this, then it would be child’s play to make a much more simple and compact handle to control a follow focus motor:

I’m thinking of tossing this idea to some manufacturers, so what are the thoughts of the three people that post on this forum? 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.