BMPCC 4k recording

Forums Lighting/Cinematography BMPCC 4k recording

Keymaster

This looks pretty good.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replies

I first saw one of his videos some time ago and found it brilliant. Mind you, he does seem to have the resources at hand to produce that sort of work, but it doesn’t take away from his skill at lighting. And if the brand and type of camera wasn’t mentioned, no one could guess what he used.

Rich H
    Keymaster

Oh definitely. He’s got HMIs for days it seems.

I had another look at his videos to refresh my memory and it immediately brought to mind a post that I raised on the Newsshooter forum about dark and sombre lighting. The issue that I raised was the trend nowadays for Hollywood, and everyone else right down to YouTubers, to make everything dark and dingy so that you can barely make out anything but a face and some obscure background light. If it’s a scene in an apartment, for example, it’s lit by some dim bulb in a distant corner, like the person was living in a cave.

Andbery’s examples are darker scenes, but there’s still light about so that you can see the context and don’t feel like screaming into the videos for someone to turn on a light so that you can see what’s going on. Today’s film makers seem to think that almost complete absence of light is what makes a scene cinematic.

Oyvind Fiksdal
    Participant

Yes, another excellent example of what this camera can do, in the right hands. In the right hands as, I believe it would be hard to tell the difference between many cameras on the same set and same crew. When you start molding the scene with controlled light like this, movement of the camera, framing, you also hide the differences between cameras. I don’t think anyone could have told which camera this was shot on in a blind test contest. Vert inspiring and a good lecture for great setup.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.