Rigging The BMPCC4K/6K

Forums Accessories Rigging The BMPCC4K/6K

Part 3 on Gear and Gripes

One of the most common, if not amusing, things that that festoons YouTube videos (clearly to get views) are the ‘ultimate BMPCC4K/6K rig’ titles, and when I go to look, I often see what to me look like the most awkward contraptions imaginable; however, if they work for the user, all well and good. That said, the issue that hits me more than anything else with these ‘ultimate rigs’ is cable management, or lack thereof. I estimate that almost 95% of these ‘ultimate’ rigs have cables dangling all over the place like an accident waiting for a place to happen.

From my own perspective, I think I spend as much effort on cable management as I do on any other part of my rig assembly. This perhaps comes from a long history in unrelated work that I won’t go into here. With a little effort, you can implement proper cable management that makes the rig safer and much better to use. For example, in the following photos, there are seven cables going in/out on my larger rig and four on the smaller one, all neatly out of the way. For me, tight cabling is an imperative given how I often transport and use these cameras.

Cabling

Cabling

I’m not sure how others here rig their gear or even feel about this ordinary topic, but give it some thought.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    Rich H
    Keymaster

I really dig the cable management on the second photo. Is that your rig? What’s happening there?

Both of those are my rigs. I’ve just used cables of the appropriate length so that I can lay them out neatly. It takes some hunting to find the right ones, but it’s worth doing.

Rich H
    Keymaster

I need some 360 views!! I dig your cable management. Especially on the second unit.

I can’t add photos or direct links.

Let me know if these help:

Rich H
    Keymaster

Nice. I might have to revisit some of my cable techniques. I was in the middle of updating some mod tools. It’s perhaps why your first post wasn’t allowing pictures to come through.

That makes sense. The most difficult aspect is getting cables of the right length. I’m still not fully happy with the coiled cables, but I have little choice with the battery adapter and I can’t find a thin and short HDMI cable. I have an excellent one that I was using earlier, but it’s around a metre long which then requires a lot of coiling.

Given that so many people use cages in a similar way to that shown, I just don’t understand why you can’t get good quality cables of a shorter length. The Kondor Blue mini-XLR to 3.5mm audio cable was the shortest (and most expensive) that I could find. The Atomos HDMI cable was much the same. Ditto with the USB-C cable, so I ended up using the Samsung supplied cable.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.