Will Blackmagic 12K URSA Mini Pro END 35mm movie cameras and even IMAX?

Forums General Discussion Will Blackmagic 12K URSA Mini Pro END 35mm movie cameras and even IMAX?

Participant

People are saying that the Blackmagic 12K URSA Mini Pro will create a move further away from 35mm film cameras to all new digital movie cameras. Could this be the end of cinema quality and Imax? Personally I think it is after watching this video: https://youtu.be/68ybN36UwjM

It really is a matter of when not if future movies will all be shot in digital cinema cameras instead of film.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replies
    Rich H
    Keymaster

Until Nolan, Tarantino, PT Anderson are dead, film will be around for a quite a while. But who knows – we may not have theaters to go back to so it may not even matter anymore :O

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Rich H.
    John Brawley

I think it’s a bit simplistic.

Imax and 35mm film have already declined In the last 10 year for lots of other reasons.

This new 12k camera doesn’t suddenly diminish the properties of IMAX or 35mm film either.

If anything it would compliment those formats and help to make them more viable.

I hope those tools continue to be a choice we are able to make.

JB

Oyvind Fiksdal
    Participant

You have Arri, which believe in the idea of (better pixels) not necessarily more. Probably inherited from when we saw 35mm movies projected from celluloid that didn’t deliver more than Max 800-1000 lines of detail information, still magical. Most down around 600-700 lines actually. The smoothness was magical for many years, even after digital starwars that was supposed to change the whole industry over the night with its 1000+ lines IQ.

The 70mm celluloid (IMAX) is claimed to be as high as 16k of information by Nolan himself after Dunkirk. But 70mm-film is a niche product in modern time, not used by many. It that case. It would be interesting to do a comparison:

70mm IMAX vs URSA-12K vs ALEXA 65mm… “Brut film K’s” vs “Modern sharp K’s” vs “K’s don’t matter that much” That would put Nolan’s statement to the test and show us if these 12K’s matter at all.

John Brawley

It’s seems a bit simplistic but one also should understand that there’s a difference between resolution and image size (sensor size)

Imax scans are 12k but the sensor is a heck of a lot larger than the s35 sensor of BMDs 12k.

That’s the bigger difference.

Resolution is but one metric.

JB

Oyvind Fiksdal
    Participant

Yes all true. But I’m talking about detail/texture. Use of different lenses is obviously necessary if anyone want to do such test. It will not be a holy scientific test, but an interesting one.

Baynes
    Participant

I don’t think it’ll end it, but supplement it. However I feel this new technology will unseat a couple of the giants in cinema camera, especially for bigger budgeted films.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.